Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 32--Yahoo or Boo-hoo

First Days of School

Adam and Amanda's first day of school was yesterday.  Even though we have been practicing getting up, getting ready,  for the last 2 weeks, we were still running behind.  We weren't late, but you know, we weren't ahead of the schedule either.

At Amanda's school, the kindergartners are dropped off and picked up in the Cafeteria.  This was a great opportunity to get one last picture with Amanda.  She was such a big girl.  When her teacher gathered the class, Amanda walked down the hall like she owned the place.  Amanda also decided that she wanted to be enrolled in the Dual Language program.  That means for the first half of the day she is with a teacher who ONLY speaks SPANISH.  Then the second half of the day, she is with an ENGLISH only teacher.  So far, she says she likes it.



This would be the place where I post a really cute picture of Adam and me.  I could sense his embarrassment and anxiety once we got to school, so we just gave each other a nod and he headed for the 5th grade hallway.  As he walked away, he yelled, "THREE" over his shoulder and held up 3 fingers.  Amanda, Marie and I all yelled back, "FOUR!"  I can't believe he is in the 5th Grade.


Today was Marie's first day of school.  Can you see that smile?  She didn't even look back after I dropped her off in her class room.  When I asked her what she did today, she closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep. I asked, "Did you take a nap at school?"  She energetically nodded her head and said, "Yeah, nap."  I asked her, "Did you color?" She nodded.  "Did you play with dolls?"  Nod again.  "Did you play with friends?"  Nod again.  Just to mix it up, I asked her she fed any lions.  She started to nod and then paused.  She looked confused as she shook her head.  Glad to know she is listening.


Yahoo or Boo-hoo Brunch

Over the last month I have attended two great parties.  First, a "Boo-hoo Brunch" hosted by my friend Sharon Bright a few days after our husbands left.   It was so nice to hang out with cool ladies.  The other plus, my sisters were in-town so I got to introduce my cool Army friend to my awesome sisters and my cool Army friends to my awesome sisters.  Then a few weeks later, I attended a "Back To School" themed coffee at Betsy Harris'.  So much fun!

As I was driving home that night after the coffee, I started thinking about my kids starting school.  I remembered that last year a bunch of ladies from church met at IHOP for breakfast.  Sounds fun, right.  In theory, it is great.  But in reality, it was really crowded, the food took FOREVER, the pre-schoolers and toddlers were bored and misbehaving.  So, I started thinking about hosting a party at my house.  I checked around to make sure no one was planning an IHOP trip.  No one was, so I started planning.

I jokingly mentioned to my sister Jacqui, that she should host a "Yahoo or Boo-hoo Brunch" with me.  See, we both live in Texas.  In most states, that means you are a few hours apart, but not in Texas.  We live 10 hours apart.  But the idea of hosting a brunch at the same time caught on and soon we were sending drafts of invitations and talking about decorations.  But, then, the way it usually does with sisters, it turned into a competition.  Check out Jacqui's party on her blog, here.



We both used the idea of Pencil vase.  I used a soup can as the base.  I put a rubber band around the can and stuck pencils around it until the can was covered.  Then I tied some raffia.  Note to self: trim the raffia.  

Next, I needed something to give the table height.  Ah Ha!  I finally found a use for those college books I have been hauling around for years.  Thank you Riverside Shakespeare and DiYanni Anthology of Literature.   They made great lifts for the casserole dishes.   I dusted off some of my other favorite hardbound books and used them, too, in the centerpiece.

I also pulled out my cake plates and glass serving dishes.  As a side note, a veteran Army wife once told me, "If you are going to get serving pieces, I always choose glass.  It is usually inexpensive, goes with everything and works for every season."  Besides, everything looks better on a cake plate.

Originally, I wanted to do most of the cooking for the brunch.  But as ladies started RSVPing, and started asking what they could bring, I suddenly realized I didn't have much cooking left to do.  Thanks to all of the friends who made, bought and brought all of the delicious food.  

I did make a Hash brown Casserole, because I was craving it a few days ago and if I made it for just my little family I would have eaten the WHOLE pan.  Best to share it with friends.  Let me know if you want the recipe.


Here is a picture of the table spread as people started to arrive.  Thanks, Shaela for being in the picture.   I am thankful for many things, but one thing that is near the top--good friends.  I love having my home filled with friends.  It makes me happy to hear their voices and laughter.  I also love being able to introduce the different groups in my life to each other--school, church, Army, neighbor.  Because I think that each woman is amazing and I am thankful for her friendship.



Deployment tip # 7 - It doesn't matter if you are Yahoo-ing or Boo Hoo-ing.  Friends make it that much better.

6 comments:

Jacqui said...

First off, Adam's backpack is bigger than the one I used at college. Does he really fill it up? He could fit Marie in there. Don't give him any ideas

Jacqui said...

Don't worry, Raffia covers a multitude of sins

Jacqui said...

Your home looks beautiful! I love all of the natural light. And your girlfriends look like they are having a wonderful time. You are so good at mixing things up.

And I truely love your table spread. It is good advice to buy everything in glass. What would your advice be for orange?

You are a party planning/throwing genius and I prostrate myself before you.

You win.

Ariel said...

Great ideas!! From the theme (and not going back to IHOP after that experience), getting together, the pencils around the vase,the books... I love it all! Great job Robin! (by the way, I didn't know you had a blog and saw the link on your fb, I read some of the entries on this page and love your writing style, with a bit of everything.)

Helen said...

Thanks for blogging and letting us share in your fun and the kids big day. We love you!

Laura George said...

Our ward in Alaska had a back to school breakfast for the parents who could attend. You just dropped your kiddos off at school and drove to the church and sat around all morning sharing food and visiting. It is so fun to be able to get together with friends and a life saver during deployment.