Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 3-Laundry

It is amazing how normal things can bring such a wave of emotion.  This morning, as I was getting dressed, I noticed that I needed to do some laundry.

I started a load of whites.  You know the drill, throw them in the washer on your way out to run errands.  Put them in the dryer when you come back from said errand.  We were school supply shopping, but I digress.   Dryer timer dings while I am getting lunch ready for the kids and me.  Then I un-load warm, clean laundry into a basket and place the basket on my bed.

Sometime later this afternoon, I had a few minutes to fold the laundry.  Everything was just fine until I pulled one of my husband's undershirts out of the basket.  I started to fold it and then I stopped.  The thought occurred to me, "It will be a while before you fold any more of his laundry."  I held his shirt, half folded to my face and smelled it.  I smiled as I smelled the clean white shirt with a hint of bleach.  I decided I didn't have time to cry.  But honestly, I didn't want to.  I finished folding the batch of clothes and put them away.  I smiled again as I opened Mike's dresser and placed the clean clothes inside.  They will be ready for when he comes home.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Yeah. I am so bad at laundry that if Dave left for a year that undershirt would still be in the basket unfolded. Mom just told me yesterday that Mike was deployed again. Soooo glad you are blogging again! I will be a regular reader.

Jacqui said...

I didn't get the top post. Dang.

Helen said...

I will join your "soon to be" long list of readers, too. Thanks, Robin, for taking the challenge.

Brenny said...

I am here reading, too. You rock, and that is all I have to say.

Laura George said...

I am so glad to see you joining the world of blogging again. Deployments are filled with emotions, but not overwheling to deal with. Hopefully Mike stays safe and it is an uneventful year, and days 1-3 become days 4-365! But boy do great friends make a difference.